The Alliance for Youth Action (along with our sister 501c3 organization the Alliance for Youth Organizing) is searching for a Development and Grants Manager who will join the Alliance’s Development Department to support fundraising efforts to raise $5million+ in 2021 for the nation’s leading youth organizing network. Since our inception, our network has led on some of the most innovative and exciting electoral and issue advocacy work across the country. The Development and Grants Manager will head our grant seeking and reporting processes, manage our grant tracking systems and database, support other departmental fundraising efforts, and work to strengthen fundraising across our network through capacity building support. This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office reporting to the Development Director.
About the Alliance for Youth Action
The Alliance convenes, supports, and scales a national network of youth-led, locally rooted organizations growing civic engagement and social justice coast to coast. We are a multi-racial network “of young people, by young people, for all people.” Our network executes massive voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, trains new young leaders, and runs impactful campaigns to win on the progressive issues young people care about most. Our annual budget ranges from approximately $6M in odd years to over $20M in even years. Our national team empowers this work by tracking down national resources for the network, building capacity for local groups, seeding new efforts, and coordinating national issue campaigns.
Grant Seeking and Reporting (65%)
- Prepare grant reports and proposals for submission including writing drafts, coordinating internal review, and preparing all required information and attachments in accordance with funder requirements and deadlines.
- Collaborate across teams, including the program, data, communications, operations, and finance departments to ensure accurate narratives and metrics for funder facing documents.
- Work closely with other members of the Development Team to draft precise and compelling donor-facing materials and communications, ensuring we’re sending regular updates tailored to donor interests.
Systems and Database Management (20%)
- Manage workflow process and calendar for all foundation grants, ensuring the Alliance’s portfolio of at least 30 core grants are administered efficiently.
- Maintain and improve aspects of grants management and tracking, ensuring proper document storage, revenue tracking, and a clean database of grants in EveryAction.
- Work alongside the Finance and Operations Teams to manage restricted grant spending.
- Maintain an organized repository of grant language and related information.
Support of All Other Fundraising and Capacity Building Efforts (15%)
- Research and prospect new foundation funders based on Alliance network priorities.
- Support the Executive Director and other organizational leadership in preparing for fundraising meetings, presentations, and events.
- Work with the Development Team to support a cohort of development staffers across Alliance network organizations.
- Work with the Development Team to support regular donor-facing events and programs connecting national resources to local groups, in-person or online.
Key Qualifications & Experience
- Experience developing, writing, and securing foundation grants (2-3 years of this experience is preferred) and overseeing all aspects of the grant seeking and reporting process.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Ability to work cooperatively with the Alliance Development Team (comprised of the Development Director and Development Coordinator) and organizational leadership to prepare grants.
- Ability to effectively and independently manage projects, plan backwards, anticipate obstacles, troubleshoot, and make smart judgment calls as needed.
- A personal understanding and demonstrated commitment to social justice and equity, and a desire to uplift the leadership of BIPOC young people.
- Experience and familiarity with Google Suite
- Basic familiarity with c3/c4 nonprofit structures preferred
- Familiarity and comfort with donor databases, EveryAction preferred
- Compensation: $65,000 – $80,000 per year commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: The Alliance offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, 75% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions (SEP IRA), life insurance, short and long term disability income protection insurance, cell phone reimbursement, WMATA transportation smartbenefits, professional development opportunities, the opportunity for 3 days of remote work per month, a generous paid time off policy, and up to 16 weeks of paid family and medical leave.
- Location: This is a full time position based out of the Alliance’s Washington, DC office. All positions are remote until further notice due to COVID-19. Remote work out of state is an option until employees are expected to return to the office. Moving reimbursements are offered to employees expected to move to Washington, DC for this position.
- Travel: Under non pandemic circumstances, domestic travel for this role may be up to 20% of this position. Must be willing to work periodically long, irregular hours and to travel as needed.
The Alliance for Youth Action is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
Please fill out our application form online, and submit a single pdf document including the following:
- Cover letter, explaining why you want this position and what makes you a strong candidate (please prioritize content over formality)
- Three references (we will reach out to you first before contacting them)
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
PRIORITY DEADLINE TO APPLY IS June 11, 2021.