The Alliance for Youth Action (along with our sister 501(c)(3) organization the Alliance for Youth Organizing) is searching for a Development Director who will be a leader in the Alliance’s Development Department and work alongside the Vice President of Development to both develop and maintain a well-functioning development plan. The Development Director will lead a growing development team and help raise national resources so that our network of progressive youth-led organizations is able to throw down and win in 2024 and beyond. This role reports to the Chief Development Officer (once hired; currently reports to the Executive Director), and is a full-time position based in the United States (see Logistics, below). Alliance for Youth Organizing is a unionized workplace, and staff are represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, Local 32035; this is a management position and is not part of the bargaining unit.
About the Alliance for Youth Action
The Alliance convenes, supports, and scales a national network of youth-led, locally rooted organizations growing civic engagement and social justice coast to coast. We truly are a multiracial network “of young people, by young people, for all people.” Our Affiliates and Partners run massive voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, train new young leaders and run powerful campaigns to win on the progressive issues our generation cares about most. Our national team empowers this work by tracking down national resources for the network, building capacity for local groups, seeding new efforts, and coordinating national issue campaigns.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
Development Planning & Management (50%)
- Oversee management of effective grant and revenue tracking systems to ensure systems are accessible for staff across teams and institutional knowledge is retained.
- Own, manage, and grow a select portfolio of individual donors, institutional funders, and prospects.
- Serve as the liaison from the Development Department to the Finance Department, ensuring grant proposal budgets and financial reports are accurate and meet funder deadlines.
- Oversee the management of and assist with writing, editing, and reviewing donor and funder communications, grant reports, and proposals to ensure they effectively communicate the Alliance’s and Network’s mission, work, and impact.
- As needed, represent the Alliance at conferences, donor meetings, and other philanthropic events/meetings.
People Management (50%)
- Oversee three staff members develop and reach goals outlined in the strategic plan, annual work plan, and budgeting process to support the capacity of local network organizations to design, launch, and scale successful campaigns.
- Support and coach Alliance staff to help build sustainable solutions for issues facing network organizations, including creating pathways for network organizations to implement those solutions.
- Guide the professional development of team members by identifying opportunities to grow their individual skills and abilities.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer & Executive Director to create and implement management processes that maximize our capacity and streamline our development processes.
- Accountable for team members’ results, performance, standards, and goals and supporting an environment of creativity and innovation that ultimately impact organization-wide initiatives.
We’re looking for candidates with particular strengths in the following areas:
- Fundraising Experience
- 3-5 years of experience of leading a robust and complex fundraising operation. Direct experience with and knowledge of the full development spectrum, including planned giving, major gifts, institutional fundraising, stewardship, online fundraising, and partnerships.
- Experience in securing support for 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations
- Proven ability to personally cultivate, solicit, and steward individual and foundation donors at five- to seven-figure levels
- Excellent writing and presentation skills and experience with framing concepts for a philanthropic audience.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, communication, and managerial skills, working across several teams to source information, juggling competing deadlines, and being able to reprioritize tasks when needed quickly.
- Critical Thinking & Strategy
- A self-starter with a strong initiative who – beyond directing current systems – has the willingness to identify additional processes that could be streamlined and the skills to realize that vision.
- Willingness and excitement to think outside the box to ensure organizational values – especially those related to diversity, equity, and inclusion – are reflected in Development work.
- Know when to answer the question someone meant to ask rather than the one they did.
- Baseline Expectations
- Belief in youth organizing as a vehicle for change
- Understanding of power, and racial, LGBTQ+, economic, and gender justice and how they intersect
- Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture
- Excellent interpersonal skills and patience
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Comfort with technology and virtual communication systems, including Zoom, Google Hangouts, Slack, Asana, etc.
- Proficiency in Excel and/or Google Sheets, including the ability to create and manage complex financial formulas, models, and data analysis tools crucial for effective fundraising and financial workbook management.
- Nice to Haves
- Electoral campaign experience
- Experience working in and raising money in an organization with an affiliated network structure
- Compensation: $95,000-$110,000 per year commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: The Alliance offers a competitive benefits package covering:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance covering
- 100% of employee premiums
- 75% of premiums for employee dependents
- Employer retirement contributions (SEP IRA) of 5% of salary
- Employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability income protection insurance
- Cell phone and internet stipends of $100 per month
- WMATA transportation Smartbenefits for staff located in the DMV area
- Professional development opportunities and funds
- Generous paid time off policy through which staff accrue 10 hours of PTO per month
- Unlimited sick leave
- Paid family and medical leave up to 16 weeks
- Paid Sabbatical (after 4 years of service)
- 15 paid holidays
- Potential for end of year or other bonuses
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance covering
- Location: This is a full-time position based in the United States. All Alliance staff are required to live within about an hour from major airports in most US states; more detail will be provided to finalists as relevant. Moving reimbursements are offered to employees who need to move for this position.
- COVID-19: The Alliance currently requires employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted in order to travel on behalf of the Alliance. Additionally there may be vaccine requirements for attendees at Alliance, Network, or partner events.
- Travel: Domestic travel for this role may be up to 30% of this position. Must be willing to work long, irregular hours periodically and travel as needed.
Commitment to Equity
At the Alliance for Youth Action, we want to create a world where our democracy works for everyone and where all people – no matter where they come from, what they look like, or how they identify – live in loving, safe, and thriving communities. As such, we value diversity and equity as central to our work. The Alliance for Youth Action is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds and walks of life. People of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply. Some candidates may feel discouraged from applying if they don’t match every job requirement – we encourage you to apply anyway.
Please submit the following through the application portal:
- Two paragraphs or less explaining why you want this position and what makes you a strong candidate. Please prioritize content over formality.