The Finance Manager at the Alliance for Youth Action (along with our sister 501c3 organization the Alliance for Youth Organizing) will work with the Operations team to strengthen and maintain internal financial management and administration. We’re looking for an organized and driven individual to support internal financial processes, and work to create, enhance, and document financial systems to ensure the organization is running smoothly behind the scenes. This position reports to the Finance Director, is a full-time, exempt position, and is based in Washington, DC.
About the Alliance for Youth Action
The Alliance convenes, supports, and scales a national network of youth-led, locally rooted organizations growing civic engagement and social justice coast to coast. Since our inception, our network has led on some of the most innovative and exciting electoral and issue advocacy work across the country. We truly are a multiracial network “of young people, by young people, for all people.” Our Affiliates and Partners run massive voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, train new young leaders, and run powerful campaigns to win on the progressive issues our generation cares about most. Our national team empowers this work by tracking down national resources for the network, building capacity for local groups, seeding new efforts, and coordinating national issue campaigns.
- — Oversee the Alliance’s daily financial operations and external bookkeepers to ensure all accounting processes are executed accurately and efficiently.
- — Manage the Alliance’s external accounts payable processes, including working with vendors to efficiently process payments.
- —Lead internal expense tracking and processing, while working closely with the Finance team to ensure accurate reporting.
- — Track and process inbound revenue, coordinating with the Finance & Development Teams to ensure all grant and contract requirements are properly recorded.
- —Work with internal and external teams to manage monthly reporting, acting as the primary reviewer on a variety of standard reports to ensure accuracy and quality.
Financial Planning & Reporting
- — Regularly build and manage a variety of financial reports and analysis, including expense tracking, budget reforecasting, and cash flow projections, coordinating with the Finance Director to provide valuable financial insights to the Alliance’s leadership team.
- — Provide support on the Alliance’s financial reporting to internal and external parties, including the Boards of Directors.
- — Manage the coordination of the annual budgeting and planning process, to ensure staff wide participation and process efficiency.
- — Oversee the documentation and administration of grant and contract agreements.
- — Develop and enhance internal financial process and procedures documentation.
- — Assist the Finance Director in the management of the annual audits and IRS 990 filing.
Key Qualifications & Experience
We’re looking for candidates with particular strengths in the following areas:
- — Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field OR experience working in nonprofit financial operations.
- — Proficiency in Excel and/or Google sheets, with some experience with Quickbooks preferred.
- — Working knowledge of GAAP, audits, and other regulatory requirements in the nonprofit financial field.
- — Experience working and assisting with budget management and financial forecasting.
- — Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively by making and meeting team goals. This means excellent organizational, time-management, and excellent attention to detail.
- — Effective communicator who is able to share vision and planning clearly.
- — Champion of organizational diversity & equity with a commitment to social justice.
- — Passion for and commitment to youth organizing and Alliance mission.
The Alliance for Youth Action is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
- — Compensation: $63,000 – $70,000 per year commensurate with experience.
- — Benefits: The Alliance offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, 75% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions (SEP IRA), life insurance, short and long term disability income protection insurance, cell phone reimbursement, public transportation stipend, professional development funds, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
- — Location: This is a full time position based out of the Alliance’s Washington, DC office. All positions are remote until further notice due to COVID-19. Remote work out of state is an option until employees are expected to return to the office. Moving reimbursements are offered to employees expected to move to Washington, DC for this position.
Please submit your application to this form. Application must include the following:
- — Cover letter, explaining why you want this job and what makes you well-suited for the position (please, show some personality)
- — Resume
- — Three references (we will reach out to you first before contacting them)
Qualified candidates will be provided with a technical skills and analysis examination.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
PRIORITY DEADLINE TO APPLY IS OCTOBER 16, 2020.