The next Senior Program Director at the Alliance for Youth Action (along with our sister 501c3 organization the Alliance for Youth Organizing) will lead programmatic efforts of the premier youth organizing network in the country. Since our inception, the Alliance network has led on some of the most innovative and exciting electoral and issue advocacy work across the country. The Senior Program Director will be a part of the Alliance Leadership Team and will manage and support the Program team. This is a full-time, exempt position, based in Washington, DC, and reports to the Deputy Executive Director of Network Strategy.
About the Alliance for Youth Action
The Alliance convenes, supports, and scales a national network of youth-led, locally rooted organizations growing civic engagement and social justice coast to coast. We truly are a multiracial network “of young people, by young people, for all people.” Our Affiliates and Partners run massive voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, train new young leaders, and run powerful campaigns to win on the progressive issues our generation cares about most. Our national team empowers this work by tracking down national resources for the network, building capacity for local groups, seeding new efforts, elevating affiliate work, and coordinating national issue and electoral campaigns.
The Senior Program Director will be responsible for leading and managing the organization’s Program Team and will play a key role in supporting network capacity building efforts and electoral planning. This Program Director will also support organization-wide efforts in development and external communications. Key responsibilities of this position include:
Program Team Management
– Manage an experienced program team in the development and implementation of goals and objectives adopted during our annual planning process.
– Ensure program team members have the tools and support they need to be successful in their roles.
– Guide the professional development of program team members by identifying opportunities to grow their individual skills and abilities.
Network Capacity Building & Expansion
– Collaborate with and assist Affiliates in proactive planning related to staffing, organizational scaling, and more.
– Support organizational expansion, innovative program building, and other immediate needs including crisis mitigation.
– Manage the Alliance’s “incubation” process to expand the network of state-based youth organizations with oversight from the Deputy Executive Director of Network Strategy, including vetting and recruitment of new organizations and emerging leaders, collaboration with in-state stakeholders, and significant support on organization building for first-time and/or young Executive Directors and Board members.
Electoral Engagement and Program Planning
– Support the scaling and building electoral programs and issue advocacy campaigns within the Alliance’s network.
– Lead on developing the Alliance’s programmatic goals, priorities, and implementation.
– Assist the Deputy Executive Director of Network Strategy in building partnerships with national, state, and local organizations, companies, and brands to elevate Affiliates and Partners and further the Alliance’s electoral and issue campaign goals.
Key Qualifications & Experience
Organizing expertise and strategic thinking – Deep understanding of state and local grassroots organizing and advocacy, track record of developing & implementing issue advocacy and electoral campaigns, ability to advise staff with campaign strategy/develop new ideas to maximize impact, make smart judgement calls as needed. The ideal candidate will have several cycles of experience and a working knowledge of data (VAN, polling, etc.).
People & project management skills – Ability to manage multiple projects, plan backwards from a due date and identify benchmarks and deadlines from doing so, anticipate obstacles, run a tight ship, support and develop staff. Previous experience managing full-time, senior-level staff required.
Communication skills – Strong written and verbal skills.
Relationship building & collaboration skills – Track record of developing and maintaining trusting relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, ability to meet people where they are, find common ground, and inspire collective action.
A Racial justice commitment and leadership – Experience running multiracial and/or people of color focused issue or electoral campaigns and/or prior work supporting leaders from diverse backgrounds in succeeding in their roles. Commitment to prioritizing equity and inclusion personally and organizationally.
Nice to haves
Experience facilitating or working in federated models.
The Alliance for Youth Action is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
Compensation: $85,000 – $95,000 per year commensurate with experience.
Benefits: The Alliance offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, 75% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions (SEP IRA), life insurance, short and long term disability income protection insurance, cell phone reimbursement, WMATA transportation smartbenefits, professional development opportunities, the opportunity for 3 days of remote work per month, a generous paid time off policy, and up to 16 weeks of paid family and medical leave.
Location: This is a full time position based out of the Alliance’s Washington, DC office.
Travel: Approximately 30% of this position may be spent on domestic travel. Must be a self-starter; willing to work periodically long, irregular hours and to travel as needed.
Please fill out this form, and submit a single pdf document including the following:
– Cover letter, explaining why you want this job and what makes you well-suited for the position (please, show some personality)
– Three references (we will reach out to you first before contacting them)
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.
PRIORITY DEADLINE TO APPLY IS FEBRUARY 7, 2020.