501(c4) Fundraising Strategist
Proposal Submission Instructions
Send questions and submit proposals to email@example.com
Submission close: June 11, 2021. Proposals will be accepted on a rolling basis and will be reviewed as they are received.
Timing: The proposed timeline for the project should cover consulting support for activities starting in June 2021 with the possibility of work through November 2021, depending on the consultant’s assessment of the scope of work.
Budget: $35,000 – $45,000
The Alliance for Youth Action (AYA) and the Alliance for Youth Organizing (AYO) are youth-driven nonprofits that support a federated network of state-based organizations all over the country in their grassroots, electoral organizing, and advocacy work. Our mission is to grow progressive people power across America by empowering local young people’s organizations to strengthen our democracy, fix our economy, and correct injustices through on-the-ground organizing.
To support both our network of grassroots organizations leading youth issue advocacy and electoral engagement at the state and local level and our national programs, our 501(c)4, the Alliance for Youth Action, has increased spending considerably in recent years. On top of providing direct funding to the network, network support includes access to a suite of electoral and data tools and regular coaching and training opportunities to improve c4 programs, build data infrastructure, develop c4 communications plans, and more. At the national level, we have run multi-state persuasion and education mail programs and led public polling focused on young people to help shape the youth vote narrative, uplift the issues young people care about most, and track engagement from candidate campaigns. An overview of our 2021 priorities can be found here.
It should be noted that the Alliance is currently engaged in an Executive Director transition process and we anticipate bringing on new leadership in early Fall.
Working closely with the Executive Director and Development Director, this consultant will support the Development Team to create an actionable c4 fundraising strategy by assessing our current program to determine viable prospects, advising on the creation of compelling fundraising materials, and directly supporting our Development Team’s efforts to raise, at minimum, $1 MM in c4 funds in 2021.
Scope of Work
The Alliance is seeking an experienced Fundraising Consultant with a proven track record of prospecting and securing funding for 501(c)4 organizations. The consultant should be well connected to the progressive and political fundraising ecosystem and have experience developing an organization’s internal fundraising capacity.
The consultant’s responsibilities will include:
- Assessing the Alliance’s current c4 program including funding history, current and past fundraising materials, donor base and prospects, fundraising plan, relevant program & communications work plans, and available data on Alliance and network c4 programs.
- Developing a c4 fundraising plan to reach our goal of raising a minimum of $1.4MM in c4 funds in 2021 and recommend key components and tactics for 2022 fundraising efforts.
- This should include strategies to increase our c4 revenue from major individual donors, private funds, labor, or other sources.
- Identifying prospective individual and institutional donors, facilitating introductions, and directly supporting the implementation of a c4 fundraising strategy. Including by:
- Working with the Executive Director and Development Director to secure meetings with prospective donors, build and cultivate those relationships, and secure funding.
- Developing a c4 fundraising value proposition and necessary solicitation materials.
- Working with the Executive Director and Development Director to engage our Board Fundraising Task Force as needed.
- Building the capacity of the Alliance Development Team and Board Fundraising Taskforce to successfully engage in c4 fundraising activities through ad hoc coaching and advising.
What We’re Looking For:
- Proven track record of successful fundraising for 501(c)4 organizations and/or programs.
- Familiarity with the progressive 501(c)4 and political fundraising landscape.
- Track record of working with diverse stakeholders, a desire to lift up leadership of young people of color, and a personal understanding and commitment to social justice and equity.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Ability to work cooperatively with the Alliance Development Team and organizational leadership to prepare grants.
Required Proposal Requirements
The following requirements are to be addressed in the proposal for consideration:
- Brief overview of your practice (organization, company, independent work, etc.), including a brief introduction to you/your team
- Overview of how you would approach addressing the needs outlined in this RFP, including proposed timeline
- Example or case study for how you have supported an organization’s c4 fundraising efforts in the past (no longer than 3 pages)
- Proposed fee structure
- A minimum of two (2) references