With each generation, voters are more diverse, so why is our voting system still fit for 19th century white landowners?
When a modern nation holds outdated elections, it wastes millions of dollars, undermines voter confidence, and denies a ton of eligible citizens their sacred right to democracy. The young voters of today are the largest and most diverse voting bloc in our nation’s history, and we deserve a voting system that reflects who we are and the progress we’ve made.
I am joining the Alliance for Youth Action in calling on our elected leaders to support us in creating a modern voting system that works for the America we are, not the America we were.
I believe a democracy done right looks like:
Every eligible citizen is automatically registered and up-to-date.
- Automatically register every citizen at state agencies like the DMV
- Automatically update voters’ addresses when they move
- Allow citizens to register and update online
- Allow pre-registration at the age of 16
- Give citizens a secure opportunity to register & vote on Election Day
- Guaranteed full-service voter registration on college campuses
Every eligible citizen can choose the best voting option for them.
- Mail every voter a ballot with return postage paid and lots of convenient drop-box locations
- Voters can cast ballots anywhere in the country at user-optimized vote centers
- Voters have several weeks of early voting, including Saturday and Sunday
- In-person voting locations are convenient for all voters, including having polling locations on college campuses
No citizen ever loses their voting rights
- Legal history does not affect a citizen’s right to vote
- Politicians are blocked from enacting policies that curtail the right to vote